Taiwan Permanent Resident Certificate Requirements
As outlined in the printed guide available from the National Immigration Agency, these are the prerequisites for applying for an Alien Permanent Resident Certificate (APRC):
- Applicant must hold a proper, non student ARC.
- Applicant must be over 20 years of age.
- Applicant must not be an ROC national.
- Applicant must have resided in Taiwan for over 5 consecutive years for at least 183 days of each year - without any gaps in ARC.
According to the government website, the following documents are required for a successful application for an APRC. Extra information, in italics, is available on a paper hand-out from the Ministry office in Taichung.
- A completed application form.
- One 2” x 2” colored photo, front head and shoulder, taken within six months. Hats may not be worn. White background only. Picture must include the head and shoulders.
- Old and current passports. Passports from the last 5 years. Originals and photocopies of any pages with ROC entry and exit stamps.
- Current ARC. Original and one photocopy.
- A satisfactory certificate of health examination. Form Type-B that is valid for 3 months.
- Income Tax Statement for the last one year (the last year's salary must be more than NT$429,120) OR Certificate of Personal Financial Estate (property must be over NT$5 million). If married to an ROC citizen, the financial estate can be combined.
- Criminal Record Certificate must be issued by:
- The government of the applicant's home country. It is valid for 6 months from the issue date. There must not be a criminal record for the last 5 years. The certificate must be notarized by the Taiwanese Embassy in the applicant's home country. The certificate must then be translated into Chinese. The translation must, in turn, be notarized in Taiwan.
- ROC Criminal Record Certificate. ROC Criminal Record Certificate is valid for 3 months and available through the Foreign Affairs Section of the Taichung City Police Bureau. Processing time is about 30 minutes.
- Approval letter from an authorized government agency (Work Permit) and Certificate of Employment.
- Household Registration if married to an ROC citizen.
- Processing fee: NT$10,000.
Applying for an APRC can be quite easy as long as you remain very aware of the validity of each of your documents. Here they are in order from longest to shortest:
- 6 months - Native Criminal Record Check. Remember it must be translated and notarized.
- 3 months - Health Certificate
- 3 months - ROC Criminal Record Check.
I suggest that the Criminal Record Check from your home country be started before you do anything else. The Criminal Background Check, especially if done from Taiwan can take some time to complete. Once started, do the health check. It will probably take a week to get. Once you receive your documents from home, have them translated and notarized. While you are waiting, gather together your tax forms and make the appropriate photocopies. When you are done, apply for the Criminal Record Check in Taiwan.
For further information regarding an APRC application in Taichung, you can call: (04) 2254-9981 Extension 517.
- National Immigration Agency - Application Form for APRC
- Taichung City Government - Notarizing Translated & International Documents
- National Immigration Agency - How does a foreigner apply for an APRC ? (Serial No. 0903)
- Notary Office, Taichung District Court - Provides notarizing services.
- Foreign Affairs Section, Taichung City Police Bureau - Criminal Record Certificate